If you are one of those peoples who store lots of data on your Mac device, then the Stacks feature is meant for you. The Mac’s desktop on a regular basis collects the files and folders at a huge rate, which will result in an unorganised desktop. With macOS Stacks feature you can very well organize your desktop, remove unnecessary items and improve your daily work.
Let’s us Talk About Desktop Stacks
Desktop Stacks feature allow you to arrange your desktop properly; you can select to have a group of items in the Dock come as a Folder or as a Stack. You can make Stacks containing new applications, documents, pictures; it’s just about which way you want it. Rounding up all the unnecessary items on your desktop and putting them into various Stacks which includes the related files.
Stacks are a convenient feature that’s quick to implement. You can also go back to your unnecessary items if you like.
Here’s how to enable or disable Stacks on your desktop:
- Press once on the desktop to choose it and bring it to the front of the desktop.
- Click View, Use Stacks from the menu list.
- A check-mark will be inserted to the Use Stacks menu item so that it can indicate that Stacks are enabled.
You can go through the same steps by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing Use Stacks from the menu list.
You can disable Stacks by choosing the Use Stacks menu item, and you will see a result that check-mark being deleted and all the files in the Stacks being come back to the desktop.
If you enable Stacks, all the files will get stored to various Stacks. All the pictures files get organised in one Stack, movies files goes to another stack, PDFs files in a third Stacks, and spreadsheets go in a fourth Stacks. This is a method to set up as default, but you can select various sorting methods.
Setting up Stack Grouping
Stacks itself sort themselves by the kind of files they included. But there are also other grouping options. Make sure that Stacks are enabled if you want to change how Stacks are sorted then:
- Make sure the desktop should be the first most items, after that press on the desktop once.
- Choose Group Stacks from the View option.
- The menu list appears to show you the various options:
- Date Last Opened
- Date Added
- Date Modified
- Date Created
Choose the way you like to organise the Stacks.
You can also perform the same given steps as above by right-clicking on the desktop and after that selecting Group Stacks by.
After you create your selection of the Stacks on the desktop will get reversed by the grouping method you chosen.
How to Use a Stack?
You have to first activate the tool first, before starting with macOS Stacks. Stacks are placed at the right corner of the desktop and come as a group of file symbol stack from one top to another.
Go through the steps to know how to use a Stack:
- Choose View and then open Use Stacks from the Finder menu in a desktop,
- After that, your desktop files get organised into each Stack.
- Tap on the Stack option to view the contents inside.
- You also can unselect Use Stacks from the same Finder View menu.